Thursday, March 18, 2010

Letting Go

Things change. When they do, you need to be ready to let go of how they were. Let go even of things that were once really important.

Even as my life changed so dramatically over the past couple of years, I've been slow to realize the need to let go. I thought I could and should hold on to as much as possible, letting only the obviously broken parts fall away. But I've caught on to the need to rethink. Folks that care have even expressed worry as I've pored over the artifacts of the life I built the past dozen years, cataloging the candidates for eBay.

It's not a cause for worry, though. The house I've called home for over a decade is a trap, keeping me locked in a life that didn't work. And the stuff I once thought defined me, however well it helped me hide from the consequences of a choice made years ago, is part of that trap. Woodworking equipment, tractors and attachments, gardening tools -- even bikes. Some, anyway.

Time to let go. Time to simplify. Time to live. And undoubtedly more to come.

All for now,

J

No comments: